7 - Practice Problem
Now you learned how to join and visualize data in QGIS. Let's see if you can perform the same task in a different dataset!
- Join the census county shapefile to the poverty data
- Hint: Think which column (variable) you will need to use to join two datasets?
- Natural Breaks (Class = 4)
Try to make a map without looking at this first. Stuck? Click buttons below!
- covid_county_property -> Properties -> Joins
- Join Layer: ACS_income_CLN
- Join field: GEO_ID
- Target field: AFFGEOID
- Custom field_name prefix: income
- covid_county -> Property -> Export -> Save Vector layer As
- Format: ESRI Shapefile
- Be sure to specify the file location!
- covid_county -> Properties -> Joins -> Click "-" sign
Why you need to change the data type?? Becasue to map the data using Graduated symbols, the data needs to be numerical!
- covid_poverty_country -> Attribute table -> Field Calculator
- Output field name: pov_rrate
- Output field type: Decimal number (real)
- Under Field and values, select pov_rate
- covi_poverty_country -> Properties -> Symbology
- Color ramp: Reds
- Mode: Natural Breaks
- Class: 4